Monday, July 26, 2010

HTC HD2


Released sometime around March 2010, the HD2 hit North American stores as the leading Smartphone at the time, beating the IPhone 3GS 8 to 1 on paper, and not to mention it's signature babe-magnet or rather depressingly to add, Geek-magnet, 4.3 inch screen.

With a local price tag of 300+ USDollars(RM1000 +/-) or RM3000(@ Low Yat), I got mine free during the T-Mobile's Father's Day promotion, but no, I'm not a father. I am however, owner of one of the last HD2's in the store that day, with dozens still lined up, Hah!

Anyway, lets head to the specs and to my personal experiences after.

Specs:


Physical
  • 4.74 Inches Tall, 2.64 Inches Wide, 0.43 Inches Thick.
  • Weighs roughly about 155 Grams
Display
  • 4.3Inch Screen
  • Resolution: 480 x 800 WGVA
  • A much better touch-screen compared to the Google Android G's.
  • 5 Megapixel Camera, Auto-Focus with 2 LED lights.
Operating System
  • Windows Mobile 6.5 Pro With HTC Sense
Processing Speed
  • 1Ghz Snapdragon
Memory and Memory Card
  • 512Mb RAM
  • up to 32Gb Storage Space
Internet
  • Browser: Opera Mobile
  • 3G: 7.2Mbps Download Speed & 2Mbps Upload Speed
  • GPRS: Up to 114 kbps download speed
  • EDGE: Up to 560 kbps download speed
  • Wifi: IEEE 802.11 b/g
Batteries
Battery type: Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery
Capacity: 1230 mAh
Talk time:
  • WCDMA: Up to 320 mins
  • GSM: Up to 380 mins
Standby time:
  • WCDMA: Up to 390 hours
  • GSM: Up to 490 hours

Experience

Suck on this IPhone, I have a bigger D.... screen...

Right, I shall start off by saying, "I did not read the manual" So I spent about 3 hours trying to work this thing, starting with, trying to sync a Windows phone, to my Mac, which of course didn't work. I had to download these incompetent programs which erase and replace each time I want to add songs. Plus, I cant access my songs, movies, pictures while it's connected to my Mac. It's like saying you check-in to a hotel and you're not allowed to use their facilities. Works fine on my PC though.

But soon I did get the hang of it.. and then bumped into a few more issues like the Email application does not update, the Weather and Temperature is inaccurate, my 3G suck 'cause my coverage provider is garbage, other applications are weird, like this stupid Translator which can't connect to the Internet, Youtube app can't be logged into so I can't share videos, and for a person who wears Slim Fit jeans(Just to make it clear, it's not Skinny Fit), it's kinda of a hassle to get it into the pocket.

From where I'm heading to, you might think to stay away from this phone, but if you kinda think of it, 3/4s of the issues could be fixed. Don't get a Mac, get a better Email, Weather, Translator app, get a better provider and wear Regular fit jeans instead of Slim, and definitely not Skinny. After you get that done, this phone is quite pleasant actually. Big screen to read or watch movies, a decent camera, great touch-screen keyboard, convenient text messaging layout, and a pretty good internet connectivity(with a better provider). It also makes you feel special, several guys and gals came up to check out the phone, amazed by its size and OH! it's HD Crystal Clear Screen. And it gets girls to try and see how "AV" would fair on it.. which one really did try... I'm serious!

It would be smart to always have the screen facing the insides of the pocket
Conclusion

If you're a simple guy, fine, it's okay to get this phone, it's pretty OK. It would grow on you, and you'll soon cherish it, like I did. But if you're a tech-emphasized geek looking into every detail, Don't, 'cause you'll be impatient to learn to love it. If you want to show off, Do get it if you wish, but just be warned that it's like driving a Muscle car.. big, stunning, fast, but you'll have flaws, like being unable to turn for your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment